Climate of Istanbul, Turkey Average Weather
- Istanbul, Turkey is at 40°58'N, 29°4'E, 40 m (131 ft). See map.
- Istanbul has a humid subtropical climate that is mild with no dry season, constantly moist (year-round rainfall). Summers are hot and muggy with thunderstorms. Winters are mild with precipitation from mid-latitude cyclones. Seasonality is moderate. (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfa).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Istanbul is situated in or near the warm temperate dry forest biome.
- The mean temperature is 14.1 degrees Celsius (57.4 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 18 °C (32.4°F). This indicates that the continentality type is oceanic, subtype semicontinental.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 9.3°C (48.8°F) on average falling to 3.3°C (38°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 16°C (60.8°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 7.3°C (45.2°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 27°C (80.6°F) and average low temperatures are 17.7°C (63.8°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 19.7°C (67.4°F) during the day and lows of 12.7°C (54.8°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 439 mm (17.3 inches) which is equivalent to 439 Litres/m² (10.77 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2421 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- If you were to burrow down through the Earth from Istanbul you would come out nearest to the climate station at Tubuai, French Polynesia where you would find a Tropical wet climate.
The climate table uses colour to represent the data so you can get a good idea about the climate at a glance. The colour also helps when comparing two or more locations that you can switch between in separate tabs in your browser. There are links along the side and top to the various sections where we are adding additional details including in the new discussion section where you can read and add posts about the various aspects!
Climate of Istanbul, Turkey Discussion
We are pleased to announce the release of the new discussion section. Here you will discover a wealth of knowledge about the various aspects of the local climate presented by our international community. We would like to invite you to help get discussion started by visiting those locations you are familiar with. Is there something noteworthy about the climate there that you can enlighten us about? Discussion is subdivided into specific topics such as the months of the year and aspects such as day length and temperature. When you have an idea of something fascinating to share please visit the specific page most fitting and add your post using the simple interface. No registration or third party network login is necessary.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Varna, Bulgaria - 265.4 kms (164.9 miles) NNW
- Burgas, Bulgaria - 216.1 kms (134.3 miles) NW
- Edirne, Turkey - 224.1 kms (139.3 miles) WNW
- Alexandroupolis, Greece - 266.4 kms (165.6 miles) W
- Bursa, Turkey - 87.1 kms (54.1 miles) S
- Canakkale, Turkey - 244.9 kms (152.2 miles) WSW
- Limnos, Greece - 346.1 kms (215 miles) WSW
- Balikesir, Turkey - 179.8 kms (111.7 miles) SW
- Mytilini, Lesbos, Greece - 299.3 kms (186 miles) SW
- Mitilini, Greece - 298.9 kms (185.7 miles) SW
- Izmir, Turkey - 325.9 kms (202.5 miles) SSW