Istanbul Climate & Temperature
- Istanbul, Turkey is at 40°58'N, 29°4'E, 40 m (131 ft). See map.
- Istanbul has a humid subtropical climate that is mild with no dry season, constantly moist (year-round rainfall). Summers are hot and muggy with thunderstorms. Winters are mild with precipitation from mid-latitude cyclones. Seasonality is moderate. (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfa).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Istanbul is situated in or near the warm temperate dry forest biome.
- The annual average temperature is 14.1 degrees Celsius (57.4 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 18 °C (32.4°F). This indicates that the continentality type is oceanic, subtype semicontinental.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 9.3°C (48.8°F) on average falling to 3.3°C (38°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 16°C (60.8°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 7.3°C (45.2°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 27°C (80.6°F) and average low temperatures are 17.7°C (63.8°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 19.7°C (67.4°F) during the day and lows of 12.7°C (54.8°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 439 mm (17.3 inches) which is equivalent to 439 Litres/m² (10.77 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2421 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Istanbul you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Tubuai, French Polynesia where you would find a Tropical wet climate.
Istanbul Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Istanbul Climate Graph in Metric Units
Istanbul Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Istanbul, Turkey Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Currently under general maintenance.|
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Varna, Bulgaria - 265.4 kms (164.9 miles) NNW
- Burgas, Bulgaria - 216.1 kms (134.3 miles) NW
- Edirne, Turkey - 224.1 kms (139.3 miles) WNW
- Alexandroupolis, Greece - 266.4 kms (165.6 miles) W
- Bursa, Turkey - 87.1 kms (54.1 miles) S
- Canakkale, Turkey - 244.9 kms (152.2 miles) WSW
- Limnos, Greece - 346.1 kms (215 miles) WSW
- Balikesir, Turkey - 179.8 kms (111.7 miles) SW
- Mytilini, Lesbos, Greece - 299.3 kms (186 miles) SW
- Mitilini, Greece - 298.9 kms (185.7 miles) SW
- Izmir, Turkey - 325.9 kms (202.5 miles) SSW